"How is Dubai? How are you?" ask many when they spy me online.
The problem with moving to a new country is that whenever someone asks you how you are, you are so tempted to tell them "how you are". The downside is that it may take 15 minutes and then that poor gal may say erm..."i just remembered i gotta go!"
The good so far:
- I like the place we've moved into.
- The kids have their own group down and they play cricket/soccer every evening. The elder one is the star of the group, that's what he so modestly told me. We asked him about his friends, the ones who give him a high five after every goal, and he shrugged his shoulder (that shoulder of his is sometimes the most communicative part). He just knew their names, why would he want to know anything more?"
- why indeed! uncomplicated and simple, that's my boy!
- and the younger one has been given a nickname - Bob! Noone's telling me why.
- The house is just five minutes away from the supermarket, 3 stops away from the nearest mall and a 10 minute walk from school. and it has quite a bit of greenery around. and birds!I like that a lot.
- I found an art center nearby where they have all sorts of shortterm courses...I plan to join whatever's available.
Now the not-so-good.
- I miss the easy accessibility of Singapore.
- I try to take the bus when I can but i dislike the staring that happens when i'm at the busstop.
- Every Saturday night, i think"oh great tomorrow's Sunday" and then it strikes me that Sunday in this place means a working day and then i go 'Oh GREAT!!!!! tomorrow's Sunday! sigh"
- I had three families over for a pre-diwali gettogether and i cooked a huge spread, all the while wishing they were not acquaintances but people i really knew and liked! and to think they were close to nice people. Making new friends is not as easy as it once used to be.
- I think with age, i'm getting to be the opposite of social.
- And my blog! The less said the better. The wordsmith in me has suddenly taken temporary retirement. The only phrases which come to mind regularly are 'eat your food' don't scream' get up, go to sleep' wash your hands' and shhhhh!
- I think i have the Dubai blues!